Unlike many apps, Paediatric Emergencies has a support tab with actual instructions on how to use the app as well as the option to change the default weight algorithm. It also gives background on the company of the app developers.
How to use the app in clinical practice
This app is clearly meant to be used at the point of care for rapid information retrieval in a true pediatric emergency. The app is easy to use and you can rapidly find critical information once you overcome the initial issues with having to enter both the patient’s age and weight to progress to the next section of the app. Unfortunately, the app does not offer the ability to put in a patient’s Broselow color.
Evidence based medicine
The app is a good example of a critical care app that is evidence based and includes not only the references but the actually copies (some exceeding 100 pages!) of the guidelines as well as links to websites that the information in the app is based upon.
What providers would benefit from this App?
Providers in the UK or Australia/New Zealand who treat pediatric patients. Would likely not be a good app for US providers due to the differences in US vs. UK guidelines and PALS.
- Free to download Lite version with limited functionality, has an $6.99 in app purchase ($8.31 Android) to unlock all the sections of the app.
- Many pediatric emergency conditions covered.
- High quality algorithm graphics for most sections.
- Easy to navigate to find age/weight based drug dosing.
- Heavily referenced with working links to many online guidelines/graphics.
- Start page not intuitive and limited ease of use.
- Some topics appear esoteric while some obvious topics are “buried” in other sections of the app.
A well designed comprehensive pediatric emergency app for providers in the UK, Australia or New Zealand.
- Overall Score
- User Interface
Mostly intuitive, but basic interface could include other options such as Broselow color.
- Multimedia Usage
In app graphics that work best on a larger screen such as a phablet or tablet. Many references link to PDFs and graphics of the actual documents.
4 stars Not unreasonably priced, but some highly rated competitors such as PediSTAT are cheaper ($2.99).
- Real World Applicability
Great resource for any pediatric providers in the UK, Australia, New Zealand.
- Device Used For Review
iPhone 6 running iOS 8.3. Also used iPad Air Gen 1 running iOS 8.3.
- Available for DownloadAndroidiPhoneiPad