The Art of Injection is a quick reference for physicians treating localized inflammatory pain. It provides general information about the benefits of injections, anatomical areas in which injections are beneficial for treatment, and clinical examination.
The app is used via two menus that are accessed by swiping to the left or right from any screen.
On the left side is the Getting Started menu.
Here you can find a handful of sections that provide information starting with general information about injections.
Continuing down, you will find details about different locations of inflammation, different medications and equipment, and the clinical examination.
It is worth reading as each section is not very long and provides a good mental structure within which to work.
On the right side is a menu that is broken down by type of anatomical region where localized inflammatory pain may be found. Under each type are specific syndromes that can be selected.
For each syndrome, there are three sections: Info, Dosage, and Approach. In addition, each syndrome has an excellent video that shows how to approach each injection. The Info section is what you might expect. It provides basic information about the syndrome, how injections can help, and other relevant information about treatment.
The Dosage section provides the recipe for the injection, size of syringe, and which needle to use. The recipe (for example, a combination of anesthetic and cortisone) is shown in both a graphical representation as well as text.
The Approach section provides detailed descriptions explaining one or more potential approaches to the injection including details of when you might encounter difficulties and how to handle them.
Although the rest of the app is excellent, the videos are quite possibly the best part. Each syndrome is accompanied with high quality videos that show a diagram of the target site overlaid on top of an actual patient and an actual injection.
- $12.99 (iTunes)
- $15.32 (Google Play)
- Simple app navigation
- Detailed, concise, informative content
- Excellent use of multimedia
- The Art of Injection is an incredibly well-designed and useful app for physicians that plan to use an injection to treat localized inflammation. The content is detailed, concise, and informed by the experience of the physician that wrote it. The app is easily navigated and makes excellent use of multimedia.
- While the app is extremely well built and contains a wealth of information, the app should be used more as a supplement with texts and other medical references as opposed to being the singular mechanism to learn these injections.
Devices – This app was reviewed on an iPhone 5s. It is also available on Google Play.
Rating: 5/5 stars
- User Interface: 5/5 stars
- Multimedia Usage: 5/5 stars
- Price: 5/5 stars
- Real World Applicability: 5/5 stars
This post does not establish, nor is it intended to establish, a patient physician relationship with anyone. It does not substitute for professional advice, and does not substitute for an in-person evaluation with your health care provider. It does not provide the definitive statement on the subject addressed. Before using these apps please consult with your own physician or health care provider as to the apps validity and accuracy as this post is not intended to affirm the validity or accuracy of the apps in question. The app(s) mentioned in this post should not be used without discussing the app first with your health care provider.