The GoodRx app was developed to get the best deals on prescription medications.
Medications can be very costly, and cost is one of the many reasons that prevent patients from filling their prescriptions on time and staying compliant.
This app was created to provide information on the best local deals, coupons and discounts for any prescription medication.
For many patients, medications can add up to a bulky expense each month and this app can help them save money.
The starting screen of the app allows the user to type in the name of the drug that they want to search for.
The app then presents a drop down list of the medications that most resemble the search term entered. Once a specific medication is selected, a screen shows up that allows the user to select the dose and formulation of the medication. It also lets the user enter the location they are trying to find the best prices for.
When the user selects the button to find the lowest price, the app displays a list of the closest pharmacies to the location entered along with the current price of the medication at those locations. Once the user selects the location and price they want, a screen shows the price at that location depending on the quantity of the medication the user wants to purchase and a button to get the discount. An example of Qnasl and Neurontin are shown below. With GoodRx’s app, a user could save over $50 on Neurontin.
This app also has additional useful features such as allowing the user to add the discounts to their passbook, as well as text and email discounts to other people. There is also an option to search for medications by disease. The app also has an extensive FAQ section that answers many questions a user may have, additional ways to save money on specific medications and general information about the medication.
The website also discusses ways patients who already have insurance can save money using this app such as using discounts that the app provides that may lead to prices lower than the user’s copay. The website for GoodRx also has a ton of additional useful information.
The only question that this app leaves us with is if the prices are accurate and the discounts actually work. Looking at the reviews of this app, there seems to be a mixed opinion. It has worked very well for some users and other users have been disappointed with their pharmacy. It seems as if this app could be extremely useful for patients if they made sure to call the pharmacy in advance to make sure they would offer the discounted price.
Unfortunately, I tried calling several local pharmacies to confirm prices listed on the app, but none of the pharmacies would allow me to confirm the price without an actual prescription.
Patients that would benefit from the app
- Any patient who is looking to save money on their medications
- Very easy to use
- Allows the user to add dose and formulation of their medication
- Allows user to select generic or brand names
- Shows the best discount by location
- Allows the user to email and text discounts
- The discounts have failed for a few select users according to reviews
- The GoodRx app is a great way for patients to find the best prices for their medications. Many people may not realize the different prices that are available for medications that they take daily. This app can also be a huge benefit for physicians by allowing them to help their patients stay compliant with medications.
- If the discounts in this app are accepted by most pharmacies as listed, this app could save patients a lot of money, especially if they do not have insurance.
- An Android version of the app is available as of publish.
Type of Device used to review app–iPhone 5
Version of App–3.3
Rating: (1 to 5 stars): 4.75/5
- User Interface: 5/5 – Extremely easy to use and navigate. Has a ton of information about prices, ways to save money on medications, and shows the closest pharmacies for a given location and their price.
- Multimedia usage: 5/5 – The app does show maps of nearby pharmacies.
- Price: 5/5 – Free
- Real world applicability: 4/5 – This app can be used by patients to help them save money on medications. By using this app, patients can make a list of places that would allow them to spend the least on their medications. The patient should, though, call and confirm the prices with the pharmacy.
This post does not establish, nor is it intended to establish, a patient physician relationship with anyone. It does not substitute for professional advice, and does not substitute for an in-person evaluation with your health care provider. It does not provide the definitive statement on the subject addressed. Before using these apps please consult with your own physician or health care provider as to the apps validity and accuracy as this post is not intended to affirm the validity or accuracy of the apps in question. The app(s) mentioned in this post should not be used without discussing the app first with your health care provider.