Physicians and other health-care providers play a critical role in preventing and treating Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs).
The CDC STD guidelines for the treatment of persons who have or are at risk for STDs are developed by the CDC after consultation with groups of professionals knowledgeable in the field. The CDC STD Tx app is the result of a collaboration between CDC’s Division of STD Prevention and the Public Health Surveillance and Informatics Program Office’s Informatics Research & Development Activity. The web based version can be downloaded free of charge, but thankfully they have created a mobile app using the same content.
The user experience presents us with a simple, repetitive interface. Broadly speaking, the CDC STD Tx app is a text-to-app port with a couple of extra features that are useful.
Six buttons lead us to the content:
- Condition Quick Pick
- Full STD Tx Guidelines
- Taking a Sexual Hx PDF
- Terms and Abbreviations
- About us
The Condition Quick Pick is a great way to navigate the app as it acts as a quick-launcher for the different disease treatment screens. These screens display the treatment options in a summarized manner and a More Info tab provides context and physical examination pointers. We also have the option to read the Full STD Tx Guidelines and the Taking a Sexual Hx PDF is a link to an excellent document on interviewing sexually assaulted patients which reads nicely on large screen devices.
We mentioned the fact that the user experience feels repetitive because the app uses a nested approach to categories and text which forces us to tap through a lot of screens until we get to the desired information. It feels awkward and unnecessary. A search or bookmarking function would have done the trick.
Evidence and literature used to support app
- The app is well documented and contains references to source scientific papers.
- User interface is nice and simple
- Excellent information
- No search or bookmarking function
- No multimedia
Healthcare providers that would benefit from the app
- Physicians in general, primary care practitioners, medical students and patient educators
- The CDC STD Tx app is great for providing information about sexually transmitted disease management guidelines.
- Having a search function would definitely have made this app more useful. Nevertheless, physicians will find this app to be very handy.
Type of device used to review app – Moto X
App version – 22.214.171.124
Rating (1 to 5 stars): 4/5
- User interface – 3. UI is friendly
- Multimedia usage – N/A
- Price – 5. Great value for free
- Real world applicability –4. Physicians will find this app a useful tool