Purpose of the Review
We will evaluate the utility of the diabetes app to find out if we should recommend it to our patients.
347 million people worldwide have diabetes.
The WHO projects that diabetes related deaths will double between 2005 and 2030.
Simple lifestyle measures have been shown to be effective in preventing or delaying the onset of type 2 diabetes.
SiDiary Diabetes Management is an intelligent diabetes management tool.
The app was developed by SINOVO Ltd. & Co. KG.
SiDiary has a profile wizard that will ask a few diabetes related questions and will configure the software with your answers to best fit the user’s needs. If you are not very skilled with computers, the software will provide slimmed-down menus while advanced users will have more complex functionalities.
The app has a simple interface for data entry and since it has versions for different devices, (Windows-PC, Android, iPhone, PocketPC) it comes with the ability to automatically sync the data across all the platforms. SiDiary Diabetes Management has a PC counterpart and an online version that requires a license to use.
When we have entered enough information, the app will display trends and graphical feedback that is useful for adjusting diabetes therapy. SiDiary Diabetes Management can read data from almost all common blood glucose meters. The app also comes with a bolus calculator that has no references as to how the bolus is calculated regardless of the warning message we receive.
Evidence and literature used to support app
- The app does not contain any references to source materials but does present the user with a disclaimer.
- App reads data from most glucose meters
- Easy to use
- Lacks proper references for medical information
Healthcare providers that would benefit from the app
- Endocrinologist, Students, patients
- SiDiary Diabetes Management is a good journal app for patients with diabetes. It has nice features and it’s easy to use.
Type of device used to review app–Motorola Droid 3
Rating: (1 to 5 stars): 3/5
- User interface – 3. UI is easy to navigate
- Multimedia usage – 1. No multimedia use
- Price – 3. Free is good
- Real world applicability -3. It lacks sources for the information but it can be useful