Next week’s 5th annual mHealth Summit (@mhealthsummit, #mHealth13) opens in the Washington, DC metropolitan area, including over 5,000 health & technology developers, policymakers, business leaders, providers, and payers from 60 countries. HIMSS — the Healthcare Information & Management Systems Society — in partnership with the National Institutes of Health, the mHealth Alliance and the Foundation for the NIH — will host the event with numerous other co-located health technology events such as Health 2.0, the NIH mHealth Training Institute, WIPJam to teach mobile app development, and even a dedicated mHealth law track. iMedicalApps will be there to cover the event.
Their Global Health track includes Global organizations – such as the Federal Ministry of Health Nigeria, UNICEF, USAID, CARE, BBC Media Action, Praekelt Foundation, Pfizer, Qualcomm and many more. Sessions will emphasize low- and middle-income countries, and discuss the role that mobile health technologies can play in advancing global health.
The new Hospital track addresses technology in advancing healthcare for inpatient settings. According to HIMSS, the track will “explore the technologies for systematic quality improvements and restructured workflows for improving patient care, population health and managed cost outcomes.” Other tracks include Business Transformation, Health & Wellness, Pharma & Life Sciences, Policy, Technology and Ventures & Startups.
Keynote speakers in policy, venture capital and global health include:
- Margaret Hamburg, U.S. Food and Drug Administration Commissioner
- Paul Jacobs, Qualcomm Incorporated Chairman of the Board & CEO
- Astrid Krag, Danish Minister of Health
- Muhammad Yunus, Nobel Peace Prize winner & Grameen Movement Founder
Executive Spotlight speakers from different industries include:
- Eric Dishman, Intel Fellow & General Manager of Health and Life Sciences
- Philip Fasano, Kaiser Permanente Executive Vice President and CIO
- Helena Foulkes, CVS Executive Vice President & Chief Health Care Strategy &Marketing Officer
- Chris Hill, AT&T Advanced Business Solutions Senior Vice President
- Andrew Kress, IMS Health Senior Vice President for Healthcare Value Solutions
- Harry Totonis, Surescripts President & CEO
- David Tripi, Janssen Healthcare Innovation Founding Partner
- Martha Wofford, Aetna CarePass Vice President
Steven Chan, M.D., M.B.A., is a resident physician at the University of California, Davis Health System, researching mobile technology, psychiatry & human behavior. Steve previously worked as a software & web engineer & designer at Microsoft & UC Berkeley. Reach him at @StevenChanMD or www.stevenchanMD.com.