Purpose of App Review
Today we will attempt to answer the following questions:
- Does this app illustrate clearly the concepts presented?
- Is this app useful to a medical student?
The Animated Pocket Dictionary of Orthopedics is the first animated dictionary in the subject. It’s a reference for physicians and students alike; it covers over 92 Orthopedics related terms and definitions. All the definitions have been graphically described with the help of 3D animations and are accompanied by text definitions. It is a tool that provides ways to learn, review and teach the human anatomical systems and related physiology.
Focus Medica is a company that has developed several apps combining 3D animations and graphics to help healthcare professionals understand medical conditions and be able to better educate their patients.
Starting the Animated Pocket Dictionary of Orthopedics lands us on its main screen. The main screen provides an alphabetical listing of orthopedic terms and conditions.
The definitions contain a brief sentence explaining the term and usually a 3D video animation. These videos are high quality presentations that should be taken advantage of by medical professionals and patient educators.
The free version comes with just a handful of videos and offers the possibility of buying more in the full version.
- The app comes in two versions. A free one and a paid one which is $7.33
- Animations look great
- Information is sound
- Clear explanations
- Free version has little use
Healthcare providers that would benefit from the app
- Medical students, medical educators
- Content-wise, the app is solid and the way the people at Focus Medica have managed to convey the information is very good.
- This app would be a great asset to educators who like to take the multimedia approach to teaching their classes.
Overall: 4/5 Stars
User Interface: 3/5 stars
Multimedia Coverage: 5/5 stars
Price: 3/5 Stars
Real World Applicability: 3/5 Stars