Purpose of App Review
- How useful is this app in training medical professionals to use an otoscope and identify key ear pathology, such as ear infections.
OtoSim Companion is a medical app to be used while learning how to use an otoscope.
The app is used in combination with a device that resembles a real ear called the OtoSim Simulator.
The app can also be used as an otologic atlas since it is full of great images and text that show and describe the normal ear as well as various pathologies.
The app is very user friendly and opens up with the first page of the text.
Each new chapter can be opened by selecting the chapter index at the top left of the screen. Each chapter has several pages of text and pictures explaining how the normal ear anatomy and pathologies of the ear may look through an otoscope.
Each of the images can be zoomed in on by clicking on them, giving a clear high definition image that is great for learning purposes.
The app also comes with a self assessment section that includes 28 questions that quiz the user’s ability to determine various pathologies that may be seen through an otoscope.
The free version of the app includes parts of 3 chapters. The chapters include 7 subsections. The paid app is $24.99 which includes 3 additional chapters.
- Free (limited chapters)
- Full version – $24.99
- Very easy to use
- Great quality of images
- Self-assessment included for users to quiz themselves
- Free version does not include all of the chapters
- The first chapters include the history of the otoscope, which may not be as useful as how to actually use the otoscope.
Healthcare workers that would benefit from the app
- Any healthcare worker who uses an otoscope.
- This app is a great tool to use when learning how to use an otoscope and how to analyze the different ear pathologies that may be encountered. This app can be used with the OtoSim Simulator which is what it was developed for but can also be used as a otologic reference due to the many images included within the app,
Android version of this application
- Not available at the time of this review
Rating: (1 to 5 stars): 4.8/5
- User Interface: 5/5 – Great layout and very easy to use/navigate.
- Multimedia usage: 5/5 -Images of the normal ear and ear pathologies are very clear and great to learn from
- Price: 3/5 – The free version of the app is limited. To purchase all of the chapters, the full version of the app is $24.99
- Real world applicability: 4/5 -This app can be very useful for students and healthcare professionals who are learning how to use an otoscope.
Type of Device used to review app-iPad 2
Version of App-1.0.5
This post does not establish, nor is it intended to establish, a patient physician relationship with anyone. It does not substitute for professional advice, and does not substitute for an in-person evaluation with your health care provider. It does not provide the definitive statement on the subject addressed. Before using these apps please consult with your own physician or health care provider as to the apps validity and accuracy as this post is not intended to affirm the validity or accuracy of the apps in question. The app(s) mentioned in this post should not be used without discussing the app first with your health care provider.