Purpose of App Review
- How useful is this app to learn the basics about blood?
FactSheets is a medical app created by the Australian Red Cross Blood Service. The app includes various pages of basic information about blood. These sheets are geared for the public and have been made for those without any background in health or the sciences.
The app opens up with a list of topics related to blood on the left hand side. Each topic expands to show the titles of several fact sheets within each topic.
In order to load each fact sheet, the mobile device being used needs to be connected to the internet. This can be inconvenient if the user is not in an area that has a wireless connection and wants to use this app.
Each fact sheet includes a page or two of basic information regarding various aspects of blood components, testing, donation, etc. For example, the fact sheet on, Why is whole blood split three ways? discusses what part of a blood donation is transfused, how blood is sorted and processed, and why this is done.
Every fact sheet is also full of color and includes various images which can be useful for understanding the information. These fact sheets can also be emailed directly from the app or saved in iBooks or any other PDF reader on the mobile device for later use when the user may not have access to wifi.
The app also has a disclaimer page which includes the web address where more information about blood can be obtained.
- Great, easy to understand information
- Very easy to navigate
- Great use of colors and images on the fact sheets
- Need to connect to the internet to load each fact sheet
Patients who could benefit from this app
- Anyone who is interested in learning more about blood and blood donation could find this app useful.
- This medical app is a great resource for those who want to learn more about blood. The app includes basic information related to blood including blood typing, donation, etc.
- For example, if a user is about to donate blood and wants to know what happens to the blood they donate, this app explains the essential processes of selecting donors, how the donated blood is handled, as well as how their blood is used in other patients.
- The information is not full of complex science but is enough for the user to get a great understanding of each topic.
Android version of this application
- Not available at the time of this review.
Rating: (1 to 5 stars): 4.6
- User Interface: 4.5/5 – Great layout and very easy to use and navigate but needs to connect to internet to load each sheet
- Multimedia usage: 5/5 – Each fact sheet is full of color and uses various images to help the user understand the topics
- Price: 5/5 – Free
- Real world applicability: 4/5 -This app will be useful for those who want to learn more about blood. Although this information can be found elsewhere online, each fact sheet does a great job at including the important information without including too much detail.
Type of Device used to review app-iPad 2
Version of App-1.0
This post does not establish, nor is it intended to establish, a patient physician relationship with anyone. It does not substitute for professional advice, and does not substitute for an in-person evaluation with your health care provider. It does not provide the definitive statement on the subject addressed. Before using these apps please consult with your own physician or health care provider as to the apps validity and accuracy as this post is not intended to affirm the validity or accuracy of the apps in question. The app(s) mentioned in this post should not be used without discussing the app first with your health care provider.