Purpose of App Review
- To evaluate the applicability of the PubChase app
- To evaluate the user interface of the PubChase app
Literature review is an important part of medicine and research.
Sometimes you are not near a computer or full-feature literature/reference search application, but need to quickly browse the literature and save articles for later review. The PubChase medical literature app aims to provide a “smarter way” to search biomedical literature, with cloud storage and organization capabilities.
The first screen of the app gives you the option to register/sign-in or search articles.
The app then brings up a list of recommended articles, searched from the National Library of Medicine databases.
If you are signed in, you can add articles to your library and access the library from the side menu. The app also provides a Top 10 articles option for 15+ topics.
- multiplatform support
- utilization of cloud services
- embedded html links to Pubmed
- multiple ways to sort searched and saved articles
- recommended articles feature
- ability to upload library from other reference manager apps
- no ability to organize articles within app
- lack of PDF support
- inclusion of full abstract of articles in search
- questionable robustness of literature review
Healthcare providers that would benefit from the app
- Healthcare providers desiring mobile electronic literature and article saving capabilities
- The PubChase medical literature app is not as robust as other paid-for literature review apps. The inability to organize articles detracts from the app’s applicability. The app does provide useful cloud services and an easy-way to access links to articles of interest. PubChase is available on the iPhone and iPad. This app is also available on the Android platform.
- No, unless pubmed is not immediately available
1. User Interface – 3. Straight-forward interface with easy navigation.
2. Multimedia usage – 3. Utilizes split-screen, but not pdf.
3. Price – 5. Free, including online storage services.
4. Real world applicability – 2. Limited use given less robust features and search capabilities
App version: 1..01
Compatibility: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad. Optimized for iPhone 5.
Requires: iOS 6.0 or later
Tested on: iPhone 4S
This post does not establish, nor is it intended to establish, a patient physician relationship with anyone. It does not substitute for professional advice, and does not substitute for an in-person evaluation with your healthcare provider. It does not provide the definitive statement on the subject addressed. Before using these apps please consult with your own physician or healthcare provider as to the apps validity and accuracy as this post is not intended to affirm the validity or accuracy of the apps in question. The app(s) mentioned in this post should not be used without discussing the app first with your healthcare provider.