Purpose of App Review
- How well does this medical app serve as a mobile resource for physicians and residents?
Theophrastus Phillipus Auroleus Bombastus von Hohenheim, perhaps better know as Paracelsus is considered “the father” of toxicology.
He is credited with the classic toxicology maxim, “Alle Dinge sind Gift und nichts ist ohne Gift; allein die Dosis macht, dass ein Ding kein Gift ist.” which translates as, “All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison.”
This is often condensed to: “The dose makes the poison” or in Latin “Sola dosis facit venenum”.
The Poisoning and Drug Overdose app promises to be an instant-answer guide to turn to for on-the-spot treatment of poisoning and drug overdose. It also promises to deliver critical information on effective diagnosis and treatment of drug-related emergencies and chemical exposures.
The main screen opens up and we can see five tabs and a list of all the drugs and chemicals the app contains. The tabs are labeled:
By tapping on one of the chemicals listed, we get a description of the drug and the toxicity levels as well as treatments. The Contents tab groups the information and can act as a guide to let us surf through the vast array of elements listed.
The History tab let’s you see the recently accessed items and we can also favorite them for easier access. The More tab provides information about the app and allows you to purchase other apps from the developer.
- Information is sound and solid
- Easy to navigate
- Tables and charts are too small for phone screens
Healthcare providers that would benefit from the app
- Medical students, residents, and physicians in general
- The information that Poisoning and Drug Overdose provides is very good and solid. The way it’s organized is clear and allows the user to find what he needs. The app does seem to have a bit too much text with little format. That makes it less friendlier to the eye but all in all it’s a very valuable app.
- User Interface – 3
- Multimedia usage – 3
- Price – 3
- Real world applicability – 3