Purpose of App Review
On this article we intend to explore the usefulness of the Pocket Lab Values Android app.
We will try to answer the questions:
- Is the information present sound?
- Should physicians have this app installed on their Android smartphones?
The amount of laboratory test studies laid out at a physician’s disposal is vast and ever expanding. As remembering the physiological levels of Creatinine and other values can often mean the difference between life and death for a patient, proper interpretation of test results becomes of the utmost importance.
Pocket Lab Values is a lab reference app developed by Joefrey Kibuule (currently a medical student) that attempts to aid healthcare professionals by providing reference values to common tests.
iMedicalApps has already done an app review for a previous iOS version of this app which can be found here.
The app’s main screen contains several tabs where reference values are grouped by categories, panels, favorite studies and recently accessed tests.
The Category section classifies values according to the system they belong to such as Cardiovascular, Endocrine, Immunology, etc.
The Panels section sorts the different studies by familiar blood work including CBCs, KFTs and Lipids profiles.
Regardless of the sorting method we select, once we tap on a method we are taken to an abbreviated list that provides just the normal or physiological lab values for each test. This allows us to get the information that we might be looking for at just a glance.
Individual lab references contain brief introductions about the lab value as well as ranges and differential diagnoses for when the value is increased or decreased. Reference websites are also supplied as well as related labs.
Lastly, both the unit system and the size of the font can be customized through the Settings menu.
- User interface is great
- Information is solid
- Differential diagnoses are always helpful
- Reference websites could be links to papers instead of Wikipedia articles
Healthcare providers that would benefit from the app
- Medical students, physicians, other healthcare professionals.
- As different labs tend to have their own set points for normal, the app utility may be limited, but that’s not really the app’s fault.
- Pocket Lab Values provides very good information in a friendly way. For a lab reference app that’s saying a lot.
- This app is a good addition to a physician’s mobile repertoire.
Overall: 4/5 Stars
User Interface: 3/5 stars
Multimedia Coverage: 3/5 stars
Price: 3/5 Stars
Real World Applicability: 5/5 Stars