Purpose of the App Review:
1) What types of questions does the app ask?
2) Are there any additional questions I can do on the app?
3) What type of feedback does the app provide after I have answered a question?
On an ICU month, residents and students know they probably won’t be getting very much studying done.
However, during downtime at the ICU, it’s nice to be able to quickly access a question bank so you can learn on the go in small, manageable pieces in your otherwise hectic day.
PICU Question of the Day is an app that helps the busy residents, attendings and medical students continue to learn about pediatric intensive care on an iPhone or iPad.
The app simply opens with the question of the day.
When a user answers this, the app will tell them if their answer choice was correct or not. Additionally, the answer will pop up with feedback.
The answer feedback seems quite comprehensive and includes examples for a better learning experience.
There is a 10 question quiz available in the app as well. The quiz questions do not change.
Frankly, I’m not quite sure where exactly these questions are coming from. I don’t know who is making them up or what their credentials are. Based on what little I know about pediatric intensive care, the information seems correct. However, if the developer starts citing the authors or the sources of the questions, it would put my mind at ease.
- Questions seem helpful
- Feedback for answers are long and include a lot of teaching points
- No idea where these questions are coming from or who they are created by
- Would be nice if the app had an option to push notifications to remind the user to do their question for the day
Healthcare providers that would benefit from the app:
- Pediatrics residents
- Peds Critical Care fellows
- PICU Question of the Day is a free iOS app that has a new daily question over pediatric intensive care.
- Most of the questions are thoughtful and the feedback from the answer choices are very helpful and include many teaching points.
- The app also includes a 10 question quiz.
- It would be nice if the app included a push notification feature to remind users about their daily question.
- Yes. With precautions since the questions are not cited. iMedicalApps cannot speak to the accuracy of the questions.
Overall: 4/5 Stars
User Interface: 3/5 Stars. Simple app. No complexities that would confuse users, but nothing special (certainly not aesthetically pleasing)
Multimedia Coverage: 3/5 Stars. No multimedia coverage included (at least of the daily questions I’ve seen)
Price: 5/5 Stars. Free.
Real World Applicability: 5/5 Stars. This app can easily be used on a daily basis.
Compatibility: iPhone, iPad (compatible), iPod Touch (3rd generation and later)
Requires: iOS 5.0 or later