By: Jay Agarwal
Purpose of App Review
- How useful is this app in helping medical professionals remember to clean and disinfect mobile devices?
CleanMe is an app developed by the company ReadyDock Inc. with the goal of helping healthcare workers remember to clean and disinfect surfaces of highly touched mobile devices.
Healthcare associated infections can infect as many as 1 in 20 hospitalized patients, according to the CDC.
Many of these infections can be deadly.
With the rise of mobile devices used in healthcare settings, the CleanMe app could potentially prevent the spread of these infections from mobile devices with its constant reminders.
The opening screen in CleanMe shows two progress bars with a timer that displays the time that has elapsed since the last time the device was cleaned or disinfected. These can be reset each time the device is cleaned or disinfected with the touch of a button.
There is also an option at the top of the screen that allows the user to select if the device is in use or not to prevent unnecessary reminders.
Unfortunately, the only downfall for this app is that there is just a small beep and an on-screen notification that pops up when the reminder goes off. It would be more useful if there was an option to add a louder, more prolonged alarm.
The app also has a series of well-developed, short educational videos that open in the devices video player. These contain useful information that explains what the difference between cleaning and disinfecting is and why it is necessary.
CleanMe also has a Settings menu that allows the user to change the timing of the reminders. These scroll bars let the user select what interval they would like to clean and disinfect the device, as well as when they would like a reminder from the app.
Another great feature of this app is the ability to set up a daily schedule of when the device is actively used. This can prevent unnecessary reminders on weekends or during the night when the device may not be in use. This can be done without having to manually turn the reminder off on the main screen as mentioned before.
There are also preset reminder options such as daily, every shift or every 4 hours.
Another option in this app is the ability to see a graphical report of cleaning and disinfection compliance. This option could be more useful if there was a way to export the information if needed. It would also be useful if there was a way to have a report that combines compliance of cleaning and disinfection of multiple mobile devices that are used within a given department.
CleanMe has an About Me section that provides information on giving feedback to the developers as well as a link to their website. They also include a link to the CDC website for healthcare-associated infections.
Overall, CleanMe is a simple concept that can help prevent a bigger health care problem. It can especially be useful in healthcare settings where multiple mobile devices are used and setting alarms or keeping track of cleaning schedules of individual devices may not be as practical.
- Great idea and very easy to use
- The graphics are very well developed
- The ability to manipulate the frequency of reminders can be useful as well as the ability to set a daily schedule
- There is no way to export the reports generated
- There is no option to add a longer or louder sound as the reminder. There is only a small beep and a pop-up that shows up on the screen
Healthcare providers that would benefit from the app
- Any healthcare provider that uses mobile devices while interacting with patients
- This app provides healthcare workers a great way to stay up to date with cleaning mobile devices and preventing the spread of healthcare-associated infections. The app also has flexibility in its options that can cater to needs of different healthcare settings.
Rating: (1 to 5 stars)
Overall: 4.5 Stars.
1. User Interface-5/5 Stars. Very simple app, very easy to use and navigate and great graphics.
2. Multimedia usage N/a
3. Price- 5/5 Stars. Free.
4. Real world applicability- 3.5 Stars. This app would be used by healthcare providers who use mobile devices while interacting with patients. It may be more useful for settings where multiple mobile devices are used to allow a standardized reminder to clean and disinfect devices. Also, it could be more useful with an option to have a louder alarm ring rather than just a pop-up that shows on the screen.
Compatibility: iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, iPod touch 3rd, 4th and 5th generation and the iPad
Requires: iOS 5.0 or later
Tested on: iPad 2
This post does not establish, nor is it intended to establish, a patient physician relationship with anyone. It does not substitute for professional advice, and does not substitute for an in-person evaluation with your health care provider. It does not provide the definitive statement on the subject addressed. Before using these apps please consult with your own physician or health care provider as to the apps validity and accuracy as this post is not intended to affirm the validity or accuracy of the apps in question. The app(s) mentioned in this post should not be used without discussing the app first with your health care provider.