Purpose of the App Review:
1) What procedures are included in this app?
2) How does this app use multimedia to help me understand total knee replacements?
3) Can I use this for patient education?
Of late, medical device companies have been developing instructional apps teaching new technical approaches and evidence-based ways to approach surgeries.
In practice, it may be difficult to keep up with what’s new.
Developing apps that help refresh physicians’ knowledge over a procedure is a cost effective way of promoting a product and helping your physician keep up to date on new technology. Medtronic, Inc developed VB Knee to help orthopedists using the Aquamantys Total Knee Arthroplasty (TKR) System. The app includes figures, videos and interactive models for this iPad app.
The introduction page of the app includes options to jump to the animations, videos, figures or assessment.
The surgical video section includes videos with text commentary on the margin of the page. The commentary includes references!
The interactive animation, as the name suggests, includes an animated video. The video clearly labels anatomic instructions. It also shows the user the suggested surgical technique while using the Aquamantys TKR System.
After the animation video is complete, the user may click on certain parts of the diagram to see what they are (the app will label the anatomic structure or device in the top right hand corner).
The assessment section is a quiz over the Aquamantys system.
Lastly, the Aquamantys figure page covers the basics of the device and labels its parts.
- The app is free
- A lot of multimedia usage with clearly labeled anatomical structures
- Animated and real videos of surgical approach to the TKR
- Appropriate amount of Medtronic branding (not overboard or obnoxious)
- Great for patient education
- Only for iPad, no app for iPhone or Android devices
Clinicians That Could Benefit From This App:
- VB Knee is a free iPad app that includes figures and videos covering total knee arthroplasty
- The multimedia usage is quite robust in this app: includes live videos, animated videos and interactive models.
- The app would be great for patient education so they can see what will happen in their procedure
- Great app for orthopedists who are considering using the Aquamantys Total Knee Arthroplasty for their patients
- We believe creating educational apps over products will be a continuing trend for pharmaceutical and medical device companies
Overall: 4.5/5 Stars
User Interface: 4/5 Stars. Easy to use, easy to navigate
Multimedia Coverage: 5/5 Stars. Interactive diagrams, animated videos and real videos. All with clear labeling of anatomy and easy to follow instructuctions.
Price: 5/5 Stars. This app is currently free.
Real World Applicability: 4/5 Stars. This is a reference and refresher app. It may not be used daily, but is certainly very useful.
Requires: iOS 4.3 or later
Tested on: iPad 3
This post does not establish, nor is it intended to establish, a patient physician relationship with anyone. It does not substitute for professional advice, and does not substitute for an in-person evaluation with your health care provider. It does not provide the definitive statement on the subject addressed. Before using these apps please consult with your own physician or health care provider as to the apps validity and accuracy as this post is not intended to affirm the validity or accuracy of the apps in question. The app(s) mentioned in this post should not be used without discussing the app first with your health care provider.