Purpose of App Review
To test the usefulness and functionality of a mobile cardiac electrophysiology tool.
EP Mobile does a superb job of offering targeted and detailed information in a simple format. Though focusing on the cardiologist and electrophysiologist, EP Mobile may also be appealing to fellows, internists, emergency room physicians, nurses, and students.
The content found in the app surpasses the cardiologists’ role only and can prove helpful to other health care professionals dealing with cardiac issues.
EP Mobile is easy to download, use, and understand.
It’s developers, EP Studios, have a solid online presence and are transparent in that they inform users that the app is open source while pointing them to the downloadable files for potential use and dissemination.
EP Mobile is designed well and easy to use for all skill levels. It contains four top-level categories that then expand into more detailed and involved sections to choose from. The four categories are as follows:
- Risk Scores
Choosing any of the above areas will direct the user to either more informational sections or interactive tools and calculators. Some of the informational sections contain nice graphics or charts with corresponding notes with links for further reading. Visually, EP Mobile is appealing, though some users may not like the solid black background on each screen.
One shortcoming of the EP Mobile app is the inability to search for information. This lacking search function may also not jive with some users’ perceptions and demands on what a good medical reference app should provide.
- Easy setup and design. No confusion or navigational issues about where to begin
- Interactive diagnostic tools, calculators, and scales
- Charts and graphics with accompanying information
- Information is cited with accurate reference citation
- None to report
- Helpful reference, diagnostic, and calculator tool for any healthcare professional dealing with cardiac issues
- Different top-level categories and sub-level sections are intuitive and easy to navigate
- Lacking a search function to find desired information more quickly
Rating: (1 to 5 stars) – 4.5
- User Interface – 5
- Multimedia usage – 4 (No need for multimedia use, but could offer links pointing to webpages for cited references )
- Price – 5
- Real world applicability – 4
Phone used for review: Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S phone)
This post does not establish, nor is it intended to establish, a patient physician relationship with anyone. It does not substitute for professional advice, and does not substitute for an in-person evaluation with your health care provider. It does not provide the definitive statement on the subject addressed. Before using these apps please consult with your own physician or health care provider as to the apps validity and accuracy as this post is not intended to affirm the validity or accuracy of the apps in question. The app(s) mentioned in this post should not be used without discussing the app first with your health care provider.