Purpose of App Review
Reviewing an on-the-go solution to finding gene information on a mobile device.
Entrez Sequence searches many different nucleotide and protein sequence resources in a single app.
The resources include:
- Protein Data Bank (PDB)
- Protein Information Resource (PIR)
- Protein Research Foundation (PRF)
This app is useful for all researchers, clinicians, and laboratory personnel.
The Entrez Sequence homescreen is the general search screen for finding protein and nucleotide gene information.
This starting point is appropriately placed in the app hierarchy as many users like to get to the search functionality of an app at the outset. The limits on the search screen are also helpful as they helps users to target their gene search by applying some filters before officially running the query.
Once a search has been run, a user can then browse the list of results and open up full sequence records. Additionally, several results can be checked off and saved for further viewing or emailed in bulk. The intuitive nature of Entrez Sequence makes it a strong competitor in the gene information app realm.
The app is also appealing to users for its intuitive nature and simple design of pages. There are three unique pages within the app which help it to maintain simplicity: the Home/Search screen, the Results screen, and the view of the Record when one has been chosen.
- Simple design and easy to use interface
- Three pages to work with from within the app
- Ability to email and save gene sequence information from the app interface
- None to report
- Search several gene databases and databanks from one easy to use mobile interface
- Email and save records found in search results
- Easy searching functionality and filters to help limit the total number of results retrieved
Rating: (1 to 5 stars) – 4.25
- User Interface – 5
- Multimedia usage – 3 (No need for multimedia use, but could offer links to the web and visuals of gene sequence make up)
- Price – 5
- Real world applicability – 4
Phone used for review: Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S phone)
This post does not establish, nor is it intended to establish, a patient physician relationship with anyone. It does not substitute for professional advice, and does not substitute for an in-person evaluation with your health care provider. It does not provide the definitive statement on the subject addressed. Before using these apps please consult with your own physician or health care provider as to the apps validity and accuracy as this post is not intended to affirm the validity or accuracy of the apps in question. The app(s) mentioned in this post should not be used without discussing the app first with your health care provider.