Independence Blue Cross launched the challenge following multiple reports which gave the health and wellness of the Philadelphia community very low marks when compared to other regions.
The first was a study conducted by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, which ranked Philadelphia last of the 67 Pennsylvania counties in matters related to health. Men’s Health and Women’s Health magazines ranked Philadelphia at the bottom of their 2012 lists of the healthiest cities across America (98th for men; 97th for women).
Finalists were invited to give 10-minute presentations of their solutions on July 24th. Three winners will be selected today, July 30th and each will receive $50K cash, mentoring support, and access to a network of health care decision-makers to implement their winning idea.
The fifteen finalists listed below were chosen from 140 applicants:
- 1DocWay (@1DocWay) is a web portal that helps doctors and patients connect with one another for online face-to-face consultations focused initially on psychiatry.
- Allazo Health (@allazohealth) helps pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs) more effectively allocate dollars to medication adherence programs. Allazo was also just accepted into the second class of startups at NYC-based digital health accelerator Blueprint Health.
- Anikto LLC is a consulting group working on a number of projects including iPad research for patients with traumatic brain injuries.
- konciergeMD is helping foster doctor-patient relationships using technology, though very little detail about their solution is offered.
- Limitless Spokes is a not-for-profit organization focused on facilitating partnerships with public, private and government institutions to bring bike sharing to Philadelphia.
- Patient Ride Services is a Philadelphia-based service providing transportation to cancer patients using a team of local volunteers.
- PhenotypeIT (@PhenotypeIT) is saving employers money by managing their health care risk through active monitoring and early intervention.
- Please Touch Museum is a Philadelphia children’s museum enriching the lives of children by creating learning opportunities through play.
- QuickSeeMD allows individuals to find urgent specialty care from local pediatricians, gynecologists and obstetricians rather than going to an emergency room.
- Real Food Works offers a subscription program of healthy meals prepared by local independent chefs and delivered fresh weekly.
- RightCare Solutions (@TeamRightCare) has developed a proprietary discharge decision support system, D2S2, which helps hospitals, insurers, and home health care agencies manage the discharge process. RightCare has done well recently, winning $150K in the Janssen Connect Care Challenge and $30K in the Wharton Business Plan Competition.
Other finalists with little or nothing to be found about them using Google include:
- Health Here Now
- Kitchen Cred
- Pennsylvania Environmental Council