by: Surinder Yadav, MD
The Hospital Physician app provides a comprehensive review of topics in a handy mobile fashion. This app provides full-text reviews of topics that can be found in the hospitalist board review manual.
The manual is a quarterly peer-reviewed publication that helps physicians and residents prepare for the ABIM certification/re-certification examination in Internal Medicine and Hospital Medicine. It has been a resource for physicians as board review study material for many years.
The app is the mobile equivalent of the manual with convenience of access bundled on your device of choice, it is easy to navigate and use, limited to just the current articles in the journal. The user interface is relatively easy to navigate, allowing physicians to read pages of interest without too much difficulty.
We did find gripes with the text — as it doesn’t take advantage of the iPhone’s retina display, something we highlight in our “dislikes” section below.
The app mimics the full text manual and thus consists of a clinical review article focused on a topic area of high interest to internists and hospitalists.
The articles are thorough and comprehensive. In addition, one can be tested on the topic, as there are board-style study questions for self-assessment for that particular topic area. The app provides alerts whenever new manuals are available as well as the ability to share with your colleagues.
- On the go review of comprehensive relevant material
- Designed for iPad as well as iPhone
- Limited topics at any one time
- Text does not take advantage of retina display — appears text was essentially “photo-copied” into the app.
- A decent app for study of ABIM certification/re-certification examination in Internal Medicine and Hospital Medicine for busy physicians on the go.