Advantech has designed an infotainment terminal that takes the best ideas from tablet computers and medical devices and combines them into a very powerful and useful product. As with many things, this device builds on the accomplishments of its predecessors.
In this case, the success of the iPad has created demand for small form-factor computers. The HIT-W121 then, while it does not have the most awe-inspiring name, is the natural progression of the tablet market. This small lapse in name creativity is completely overshadowed by the plethora of attributes and attachments that are possible on this device.
The tablet has the following features (non-exhaustive list):
- 2MP front-facing webcam for video conferencing and taking pictures
- RFID Reader chip is installed for tagging and tracking
- Wifi access of b/g/n standards for internet and hospital server access
- Intel Atom dual-core process for improved performance
- 3 mm thick slim fanless design makes it easy to handleHigh quality, 11.6″ display with a 16:9 viewing angle
- Easy to clean touch panel, IP54 compliant
- Accessory items that can be added include – Handset/ Smart card reader/ Barcode Scanner/ MSR
- VESA 75 mm standard mounting holes for a myriad of mounting demands
- Various ports/connectors including USB, and coaxial cable allow for even more uses
- Instant function key access via programmable touch hotkeys on front panel
- ITE & medical dual certificates provide full application coverage
Advantech seems to have addressed nearly every conceivable hospital scenario. The HIT-W121 is even certified to endure various extreme and environmental conditions! With the realization that tablet computing is not a fad and is here to stay, Advantech is trying to capitalize on this market and produce a product that is both relevant and functional in the hospital setting.
The infotainment terminal can be ordered from the company’s website in a variety of colors and finishes.