Epocrates Essentials – $159 per year – Key Features:
- Includes all of the above features PLUS:
- Disease Monographs – Pertinent information about the pathology in question, along with diagnosing and treatment options. In this example, I used hypertension.
- Per Epocrates, the information is peer-reviewed in collaboration with the British Medical Journal. From what I read, information was up to date with current guidelines. The correct JNC protocol was mentioned, with proper anti-hypertensive drug combination treatments.
- High Resolution disease images – This section is useful for dermatology conditions, but many pathologies don’t contain pictures and if they do, only a few are provided. Also, images are pulled from an outside server, and if you don’t have a dedicated internet connection you won’t be able to access them.
- Hundreds of diagnostic and laboratory tests – We’ve reviewed other medical lab test applications in the App Store – but this portion of Epocrates is at a completely different level than anything we reviewed. In this example I use the ACTH stimulation test. Along with the obvious reference range, I’m given an interpretation with possibly pathologies, and also follow up tests to order if I suspect a particular pathology. ICD-9 billing codes are listed at the end