By: Saif Usman MD
The CDC Vaccine Schedules app was developed by the CDC using Advisory Committee on Immunization (ACIP) recommended child, adolescent and adult immunization schedules. Apart from the regular schedule it also contains catch-up schedules for 4 months thru 18 years of age, vaccine contraindications and precautions. My personal favorite is the ability to lookup recommended adult vaccines based on conditions such as pregnancy, diabetes, HIV etc. Add in automatic updates, clear references, links back to the CDC website — and this looks like an excellent app.
- The app is developed by the CDC using ACIP immunization recommendations. Clicking on any of the resource links takes you to the corresponding CDC website page where pdf files and further references are available. The vaccine schedules also update every time you open the app and are connected to the internet so its always current.
Healthcare providers that would benefit from this app
- Physicians, residents, medical students, physician assistants, nurse practitioners–In general the people who would benefit the most from this app would be Family medicine physicians, Internal medicine physicians, Pediatricians, Primary care physicians, residents, medical students and physician assistants and nurse practitioners in the primary care field.
- Developed by a reputable institution
- Clear, easily accessible information that is in an easy to read format
- Very detailed and well organized
- Automatic updates
- Available for Android and iOS platforms
- Requires internet connection to access references from CDC website. *App itself doesn’t require internet connection to use.
- Overall this app is fantastic and I think the CDC really hit it out of the park with this one. They have taken a somewhat tedious task of learning and staying current with the multitude of vaccines and their indications and contraindications and have made it extremely easy.
- It’s quick, extremely well organized but at the same time detailed and extensive and its developed by a reputable institution like the CDC. Any clinician who may be recommending or prescribing vaccines should have this app. Best of all, it automatically updates the recommendations so you are always current.
- Overall Score
- User Interface
- Multimedia Usage
- Real World Applicability
- Device Used For Review
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
- Available for DownloadAndroidiPhoneiPad