The Vaccines on the Go App was developed by the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP). It was created to make finding accurate information about vaccines easier for parents.
The app was made to be a go-to source for any vaccination.
The app includes information about the actual vaccine, the diseases caused by not getting vaccinated, side effects of the vaccinations and any other information that parents may find useful.
The app starts up with the Home screen presenting several options for the user. Each of these options is also available on the menu bar at the bottom of the app for easy access.
The Home screen also has additional options such as a glossary and a section to write notes that parents may have.
When the user selects the Vaccines section, a list of all of the vaccines covered in the app are shown alphabetically. The app also has a search function for quicker access.
Once the specific vaccination is selected, a page containing extensive but summarized information is presented. The page includes basic information about the vaccine such as what type of vaccine it is, different formulations, side effects, and more information on a PDF linked to the Children’s Hospital’s website.
There is also a section that discusses the actual disease that can be caused if the vaccine is not given. This section includes how contagious the disease is as well as common symptoms.
Other sections that the app includes have information on common safety issues concerning vaccines and what the different types of vaccines are and what they mean.
Another great feature of this app is a quick reference to the typical vaccination schedule sorted by age. This can be helpful for parents to have so they can anticipate upcoming vaccinations and can read up on them prior to seeing their physician.
The app also has an option to add notes for the doctor so they can remember the next time they make a visit. There are also several videos that explain general information about vaccines that can be played in-app.
- The app is very easy to use and navigate
- The app includes an extensive amount of information presented in a digestible format
- No sources listed except links to the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia’s website.
- Although the app is coming from such a reputed institution, the app should include references for the information provided.
Patients that would benefit from the app
- Parents who want to know more about vaccinations can benefit from this app
- The Vaccines on the Go app is a great resource for parents to have for general information on vaccinations. This app prevents parents from reading false information from less reliable sources.
- The app includes all of the necessary information regarding vaccinations including why to get them, diseases that can be prevented, and common side effects. This information is all presented in a compact and easy to understand format.
- The app also links to extra information on the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
Type of Device used to review app–iPhone 5
Version of App–1.0
Rating: (1 to 5 stars): 4.5/5
- User Interface: 5 – Very easy to use and navigate with helpful features such as adding notes.
- Multimedia usage: 4 – Useful list of many videos that discuss general information about vaccines
- Price: 5 – Free
- Real world applicability: 4 – This app can be a great resource for parents to learn about vaccinations.
This post does not establish, nor is it intended to establish, a patient physician relationship with anyone. It does not substitute for professional advice, and does not substitute for an in-person evaluation with your health care provider. It does not provide the definitive statement on the subject addressed. Before using these apps please consult with your own physician or health care provider as to the apps validity and accuracy as this post is not intended to affirm the validity or accuracy of the apps in question. The app(s) mentioned in this post should not be used without discussing the app first with your health care provider.