Purpose of App Review
- How useful is this app in explaining stroke-related information to patients?
Stroke: Patient is a medical app developed by nEuroRecovery Ltd.
It was created as an easy to read, useful resource to help stroke patients and their family members learn information about their disease.
The information within the app is great for teaching ways to prevent strokes and detecting strokes while they are happening to reduce the time it takes for a patient to get to the hospital.
The app has a Home screen with a list of topics the user can choose including what is stroke, what causes stroke, etc.
Back on the Home screen, each topic leads to a series of pages with relevant information and more topics that can be clicked on. One of the major issues with this app is that although it contains great information, none of the information is cited. This makes it difficult for users to access a more detailed version of the information provided if they are interested in learning more.
Another issue with this app is the advertisement placement. There is a horizontal bar of ad space taken at the top of the screen. Some of the advertisements show a blue arrow at the top right of the screen which resembles a “next” type of icon. As a result, this could lead to users accidentally clicking on the ad.
The app also features a treatment timeline algorithm which includes the step-by-step management of a patient that is having a stroke from the initial assessment at home to the treatment at the hospital and recovery. Each portion of the decision tree can be clicked on for more information.
- Very easy to use
- Great information that is easy to understand for stroke patients and their families
- No citations for the information provided
- Advertisement placement can confuse users
Patients that would benefit from the app
- Any patient who has had a stroke or TIA or is at risk of having one as well as their family members
- This medical app is a great for users who want to learn more about stroke symptoms, why strokes occur and what emergent steps are needed to treat strokes if the user or their loved ones ever has one.
- The information is laid out in a very easy to understand fashion and the design of the app is very easy to navigate.
Android version of this application
- Not available at the time of this review
Rating: (1 to 5 stars) – 4.3/5
- User Interface: 4/5 – Extremely easy to use and navigate but poor advertisement placement.
- Multimedia usage – N/A
- Price: 5/5 – Free
- Real world applicability: 4/5 -This app can be used by patients and family members of stroke patients to learn more about the disease. However, it would be more useful if there were links or citations for more information if users wanted it.
Type of Device used to review app–iPhone 5
Version of App--1.0
This post does not establish, nor is it intended to establish, a patient physician relationship with anyone. It does not substitute for professional advice, and does not substitute for an in-person evaluation with your health care provider. It does not provide the definitive statement on the subject addressed. Before using these apps please consult with your own physician or health care provider as to the apps validity and accuracy as this post is not intended to affirm the validity or accuracy of the apps in question. The app(s) mentioned in this post should not be used without discussing the app first with your health care provider.