Purpose of App Review
- Highlighting an app to help caregivers manage patients with diabetes.
BlueLoop is one of the first of its kind to take a micromanagement approach to handling a patient’s daily diabetes care. The app syncs with MyCareConnect.com to allow both patients and caregivers on-the-go access to monitor, share, enter, and save vital information about the disease they’re dealing with.
The web-based service, MyCareConnect and the associated app BlueLoop are both HIPPA-compliant products. Patients can feel safe using the app to update their information and caregivers can feel confident that the information is being kept safe.
BlueLoop is not only used by parents and their children (in reciprocal relationships), it’s also used by school nurses to push daily updates of children’s disease progress to parents. There is also a hospital interface that contains a demo upon request. It is unclear whether or not this service is officially available.
The design and aesthetics of BlueLoop are well done and easy to follow. Though there are several options to choose from in this app, it is intuitive to understand where new data should be entered and where existing information can be obtained. There are prominent buttons throughout the interface that help to clearly identify a flow of information within the app.
There are daily, weekly, and monthly view options (via MyCareConnect.com) for caregivers to get a nice overview of how their patient’s disease is progressing and being handled. The trends available in these features allows caregivers to make better decisions about the patient’s care, and ultimately can influence the decisions of the patient’s primary care providers.
Doctors, physicians, and nurses can also be added as caregivers to an individual patient, so they will receive updates as they are entered by the patient as well. This multiple caregiver functionality is perhaps the most appealing aspect of BlueLoop.
- Free app–free to register with MyCareConnect.com
- Layout and design of pages
- Entering data as the day progresses for each meal
- Prospect of providers and caregivers making more informed decisions on the patient’s care plan
- App does occassionally freeze when trying to add notes to a new entry
- Helpful resource for both caregivers and patients to manage diabetes
- Web-based version and an accompanying app for access to input and for viewing information from anywhere
- Ability to setup several caregivers with a single patient
- Helps healthcare providers to make better decisions about patient care
Rating: (1 to 5 stars) – 4.5
- User Interface – 5
- Multimedia usage – 4 (contains extensive sharing and notifications capabilities)
- Price – 5
- Real world applicability – 4
Phone used for review: Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S phone)
This post does not establish, nor is it intended to establish, a patient physician relationship with anyone. It does not substitute for professional advice, and does not substitute for an in-person evaluation with your health care provider. It does not provide the definitive statement on the subject addressed. Before using these apps please consult with your own physician or health care provider as to the apps validity and accuracy as this post is not intended to affirm the validity or accuracy of the apps in question. The app(s) mentioned in this post should not be used without discussing the app first with your health care provider.