Purpose of App Review
To review a translation app for communicating with non-English speaking patients.
Sometimes important information needs to be received and understood between professionals and patients.
Emergency Medical Spanish Guide Lite (EMSG) is an app for communicating vital and emergency health information between non-Spanish speaking healthcare professionals and non-English speaking patients.
EMSG serves to bridge the gap between Spanish language patients and their healthcare providers during emergency situations.
Complete with audio accompaniment and written phrases, this app help to improve communication when it comes to Spanish language barriers.
EMSG covers a range of emergency medicine topics with their own respective lists of key phrases that providers might need to know in the moment. The main categories are as follows:
- Personal Information
- Neurological Assessment
- Chest Pain
- Suicidal Ideation – Depression
- Quick Assessment
- Further Assessment
- Pain Assessment
- Test and Procedures
- Discharge Instructions
- Non Medical Conversation
- General Vocabulary
All of these categories are displayed using different colors, making then easily decipherable and viewable on a small screen. Expanding an option brings users to a list of of common and vital questions pertaining to that topic. The questions are written in both English (black font) and Spanish (red font). Users can bookmark phrases/questions from this screen or tap on an option to play the Spanish audio of the question or statement.
It’s important to point out that ads are visible in the middle of every screen within the app and that bookmarking and other features of EMSG are only available for paid subscribers. Here is the link to the pay-for version with access to all features and free updates.
- Colorful design and easy navigation
- Spanish audio for communicating with non-English speaking patients
- Bookmarking capabilities (only in full paid version)
- Written questions/statements in both English and Spanish
- Transparent information about the app and its developers
- Disruptive ads in the Lite version
- The lack of bookmarking in the Lite version
- Provides healthcare professionals with a Spanish-speaking ‘voice’ for communicating vital emergency medical information with Spanish-speaking patients
- Contains written phrases in both English and Spanish
- Full paid version offers no ads, free updates, and bookmarking access
Rating: (1 to 5 stars) – 4
- User Interface – 4
- Multimedia usage – 4 (utilizes an audio component for audibly communication)
- Price – 4
- Real world applicability – 4
Phone used for review: Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S phone)
This post does not establish, nor is it intended to establish, a patient physician relationship with anyone. It does not substitute for professional advice, and does not substitute for an in-person evaluation with your health care provider. It does not provide the definitive statement on the subject addressed. Before using these apps please consult with your own physician or health care provider as to the apps validity and accuracy as this post is not intended to affirm the validity or accuracy of the apps in question. The app(s) mentioned in this post should not be used without discussing the app first with your health care provider.