Purpose of the App Review:
1) Does this app include chemotherapy dosing and indications?
2) Does the app include news about cancer treatments?
3) What other tools does the app include?
Chemotherapy and management of malignancy has been a focus of modern science in the past few decades.
For that reason, there are now many treatment options for the various cancers that exist.
There are many new, experimental treatments and a lot of scholarly activity associated with medical oncology and keeping track of it can be very difficult.
Chemotherapy Advisor is an app that lives and breathes all things chemotherapy. From a homepage that looks like a Facebook newsfeed to medical calculators, this app is a robust tool for providers who deal with chemotherapeutic agents regularly.
The app was developed by chemotherapyadvisor.com, a well known chemotherapy reference tool frequented by medical oncologists.
The app opens with a selection of recent articles related to medical oncology. The setup looks very much like a Facebook newsfeed with pertinent news and scholarly articles in chronological order.
The app also includes med calculators in the tools folder. There are quite a bit of options here – everything from BMI to absolute neutrophil count calculators (certainly almost everything an oncologist could ask for).
Lastly, the app has a large focus on news and scholarly articles related to chemotherapy and oncology. The features and news folders can be broken down by types of cancers and the app will pull recent related articles.
Additionally, these parts of the app are searchable, so the user can specifically seek certain information out.
- Easy to use, very quickly able to find treatments for specific cancers
- Can search for recent articles through the app
- Newsfeed of featured articles on the homepage make it easy to keep up-to-date
- Huge selection of medical calculators
- Treatment guides are not formatted for the app so the user must scroll left/right while reading the treatment guides
Healthcare providers that would benefit from the app:
- Medical oncologists
- Surgical oncologists
- Internal Medicine residents
- Chemotherapy Advisor is a free iOS app that includes a robust selection of information about oncology
- The app includes a wide variety of medical calculators that include the basics like BMI and pregnancy due dates but also includes heme/onc specific things like Factor IX dosage calculator, etc.
- There are featured articles so the user can keep up-to-date with oncology
- Treatment guides are included for a wide variety of malignancies
- Drug specific information like side effect profiles, indications, and contraindications can be found on this app
App Available on Android Market?
Overall: 4/5 Stars
User Interface: 5/5 Stars. The app is user-friendly. Though there is a considerable amount of information included in this app, the information is all categorized in a very intuitive manner.
Multimedia Coverage: 5/5 Stars. Med calculators and accurate and easy to use.
Price: 5/5 Stars. Free.
Real World Applicability: 5/5 Stars. This app can easily be used on a daily basis.
Compatibility: iPhone, iPad (compatible), iPod Touch (3rd generation and later)
Requires: iOS 4.3 or later
Device Tested on: iPhone 4S