As our healthcare system becomes more complicated, so (or so it seems) do the eligibility requirements for reimbursement from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
CMS ICD is an app that helps you determine if a patient is eligible for a defibrillator based on the CMS guidelines and requirements.
CMS ICD was produced by Think Tank Medical, LLC.
The app covers implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICD), cardiac resynchronization therapy defibrillator (CRT-D), and cardiac resynchronization therapy pacemakers (CRT-P).
Using the most up-to-date information from the Medicare national coverage determinations manual (NCD), the app guides users through CMS eligibility requirements to see if their patients’ insurance will cover these devices.
The app opens with an acknowledgement page, which includes the usual legal spiel barring them from any specific patient liability, etc.
The app will notify the user if the patient is ineligible for a defibrillator or pacemaker based on the questions answered. The app will also tell the user if the patient is ineligible for intervention and if they are eligible for ICD, CRT-D or CRT-P.
The app has an interesting tool that can remind the user to reevaluate the patient for ICD at a later date. The app can access your calendar and add a reminder to follow up.
- Takes the mess out of determining eligibility for ICD
- Uses most up-to-date NCD criteria
- Useful reminder tool for patients who are not currently eligible for ICD
- Utilizes email to send eligibility results to user
- Requires registration for email function
- No print to PDF function so adding the results document to an EMR might take extra steps
Healthcare providers that would benefit from the app:
- Interventional Radiologists
- CMS ICD is a free iOS app that helps doctors navigate CMS eligibility requirements for ICD, CRT-D, and CRT-P.
- The app is set up in a questionnaire format asking yes/no questions.
- The app uses the most up-to-date information from the NCD manual.
- It has cool features like reminding user to reevaluate patients that are currently ineligible or emailing the eligibility results for a specific patient.
- The app requires registration for full functionality.
Overall: 4.5/5 Stars
User Interface: 5/5 Stars. Simple app. Easy to use.
Multimedia Coverage: 3/5 Stars. No multimedia coverage, but the app does not require it.
Price: 5/5 Stars. Free.
Real World Applicability: 5/5 Stars. This app will be very useful for cardiologists.
Compatibility: iPhone, iPad (compatible), iPod Touch (3rd generation and later)
Requires: iOS 5.0 or later