App Reviewed: Micromedex Drug Interactions (Ver. 1.44.0)
Purpose of App Review:
- Review ease of use of app in comparing possible interactions between medications
- Determine ability of app in discerning what are possible interactions for medications
Drug interactions is a common questions that comes up when prescribing and dispensing medications.
Will this drug interact with this drug? What is the interaction? Is it something to worry about? What do I tell my patient?
One issue for a lot of health care providers is alert overload where warnings just wear down the prescriber. As a pharmacist, this becomes an issue as well.
These alerts, though, do not capture everything and sometimes we want more information. With the advent of mobile devices, this has become a less complicated affair. Micromedex currently has a stand-alone drug interaction checker available on the iOS and Android devices based upon their Micromedex 2.0 system.
Upon launching the app, the user is brought to a simple to use screen where there is an alphabetical list of medications.
- $9.99 Annual Subscription
- Free for users whose institution is subscribed to Micromedex 2.0 (as seen in our how-to review)
- Very easy to utilize user interface and easy to understand for newcomers
- Details what issues may be present along with evidence of interactions
- The app works very fast in checking possible interactions and is easy to use and navigate
- Some delay in checking compatibility with multiple items
- The UI could use more color or font changes to draw readers to key sections
Healthcare providers that would benefit from app:
- Micromedex Drug Interaction app is a straightforward mobile reference for healthcare practitioners working with medications on a daily basis. This app can help identify and manage potential issues that may come up in daily practice. The app is easy to use. However, it is very text heavy at times and could be split up easier for reading.
Rating: 4.5 (out of 5)
1. User Interface – 4
2. Multimedia usage – N/A
3. Price – 5
4. Real world applicability – 5
Last Updated: December 17, 2012
Compatibility: iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch (Universal), or Android Devices
Requires: iOS 3.0 or later, Android 2.2 or up
Reviewed on: iPad 2
This post does not establish, nor is it intended to establish, a patient physician relationship with anyone. It does not substitute for professional advice, and does not substitute for an in-person evaluation with your health care provider. It does not provide the definitive statement on the subject addressed. Before using these apps please consult with your own physician or health care provider as to the apps validity and accuracy as this post is not intended to affirm the validity or accuracy of the apps in question. The app(s) mentioned in this post should not be used without discussing the app first with your health care provider.