Purpose of App Review
To review a drug reference resource that is customizable to your institution’s formulary.
With an ever increasing range of drugs entering the physicians toolkit, its impossible to remember all of the relevant prescribing information. For this problem, there are many great drug reference apps out there. Lexi-Comp for Android is a useful app for clinicians, pharmacists, and other providers that prescribe medication.
It contains the general drug reference information found in any many of its peer apps, as well as specific formulary information found at the user’s institution. Drug interaction checks and drug dosage calculations are also possible with the Lexi-Comp app.
One unique feature of this app is the ability to access information specific to the institution at which the user practices. To enable this feature, users must follow particular instructions for accessing institution-specific Lexi-Comp content on their mobile device. The general instructions are as follows:
- Contact Lexi-Comp subscription administrator at your institution for a product code (might be the library or pharmacy contact individual)
- Register with your institutional e-mail address and appropriate product key for your device
- Download the app to your device
- Login to the app with your previously created credentials
Lexi-Comp offers an aesthetically pleasing interface with descriptive and easy to use modules for performing different actions or finding information on various medications. The Library module shows the user’s institutional formulary product as well as Lexi-Drugs, which is a database of detailed drug information provided by the Lexi-Comp company.
Interact is a useful module that allows users to search for drug interactions between two or more medications.
CALC is a calculator that generates standard and recommended dosing information for certain drugs. Update simply notifies the user if any of the modules or drug databases need to be updated with more recent information.
Transferring between any of these modules and databases is seamless and highly functional. There are no glitches or long wait times apparent and it is intuitive to search, browse, and analyze information found within the app. Lexi-Comp is full of detailed and technical information, but it’s visually simple design and organization makes it user friendly and available to a wide range of mobile app users.
- Free to download, but requires a subscription to Lexi-Comp in order to view drug and formulary information.
- Easy, intuitive design and functionality
- Seamless transition between app modules
- Drug interaction module
- Detailed nature of a user finding an institution’s product key, creating an account and downloading the app. A more streamlined process would be better.
- A handy drug reference app that displays general drug information as well as institution-specific formulary dosing, efficacy, toxicity, cost, etc.
- Visually appealing design and intuitive organization of information
- Requires particular instructions for downloading the app and synching with institutional subscription
Rating: (1 to 5 stars) – 4.5
- User Interface – 5
- Multimedia usage – 3 (could include drug and medication images, otherwise no need for multimedia use)
- Price – 5
- Real world applicability – 5
Phone used for review: Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S phone)
This post does not establish, nor is it intended to establish, a patient physician relationship with anyone. It does not substitute for professional advice, and does not substitute for an in-person evaluation with your health care provider. It does not provide the definitive statement on the subject addressed. Before using these apps please consult with your own physician or health care provider as to the apps validity and accuracy as this post is not intended to affirm the validity or accuracy of the apps in question. The app(s) mentioned in this post should not be used without discussing the app first with your health care provider.