Purpose of App Review
How well does Introduction to Bedside Ultrasound teach physicians to perform and interpret bedside ultrasounds?
Since iBooks Author came out last year, I’ve been looking forward to reading a full length interactive iBook written for physicians.
I was thrilled last fall when the great minds behind Ultrasound Podcast released a comprehensive ultrasound text in iBook form.
Since it’s such a multimedia heavy topic, ultrasound is great subject to present in this format, allowing the authors to integrate real time video of scans into the text. Until now, I’ve been relying heavily on web based resources to learn ultrasound since print resources cannot include the multimedia necessary to adequately teach this topic.
The text contains fifteen chapters on a diverse array of ultrasound topics:
- Overview of ultrasound physics
- How to use bedside ultrasound in several anatomic systems: Cardiovascular, Pulmonary, Renal, Testicular, Pregnancy, Musculoskeletal (hip and shoulder)
- Indications and technique for the FAST and RUSH exams
- Using ultrasound to evaluate fluid responsiveness
- Performing Ultrasound guided procedures
- Central lines, brachial plexus nerve blocks and joint injections.
Chapters are generally organized to explain clinical indications for ultrasound, the technique for obtaining images, and the interpretation of scans.
Real time scans are interspersed throughout the text. Video clips can be viewed in the window shown or expanded to full screen. Each chapter includes many examples of normal and abnormal ultrasound findings.
Still diagrams are also used frequently to demonstrate anatomy, scanning technique, and interpretation.
Resources at the end of the chapter are linked so that the reader can go directly to the primary source. When selected, the link will open in Safari.
The multimedia heavy format is especially helpful for teaching ultrasound-based procedures using a combination of text, still images, and video clips.
- Extensive use of high quality multimedia to teach bedside ultrasound.
- The text is both a thorough overview of a wide range of topics, while focusing on high yield principles in each chapter.
- Doesn’t take advantage of the opportunity to include review questions.
- Interactive iBooks are only compatible with the iPad – no cross device platform currently available.
Healthcare providers that would benefit from the app
- Emergency Medicine residents and attending physicians
- Critical Care physicians
- Clinicians learning bedside ultrasound
- This text is an excellent, thorough introduction to bedside ultrasound, especially for emergency medicine physicians, that includes both basic and advanced techniques. The authors do a fantastic job of strategically using the interactive iBooks format to effectively teach the stated learning objectives. This text is an exemplary model for future medical education materials.
Rating: 5 / 5 stars
User Interface – 5 – Straight forward navigation
Multimedia usage – 5 – Videos and images well integrated into the text, focused on learning objectives.
Price – 5 – When compared to other medical textbooks, this is a reasonable price point.
Real world applicability – 5 – Covers information essential to all Emergency Physicians
This post does not establish, nor is it intended to establish, a patient physician relationship with anyone. It does not substitute for professional advice, and does not substitute for an in-person evaluation with your health care provider. It does not provide the definitive statement on the subject addressed. Before using these apps please consult with your own physician or health care provider as to the apps validity and accuracy as this post is not intended to affirm the validity or accuracy of the apps in question. The app(s) mentioned in this post should not be used without discussing the app first with your health care provider.