Purpose of App Review
STATRef! is popular among clinicians and researchers alike for easy access to important reference and medical textbooks.
The app version is available with authentication from anywhere via an institutional subscription.
It’s important to have access to trusted medical information in the clinical setting in order to make informed decisions and STAT!Ref offers this accessibility with its mobile app version.
Textbooks and evidence-based point of care tools are available through the mobile platform.
The texts and content found within STAT!Ref are dependent on what the user’s institution subscribes to or purchases through the resource; this varies from institution to institution.
One thing users should note is how to gain access to the mobile content once the app has been downloaded.
Here are the simple instructions: Access STAT!Ref via the desktop version within the institution IP range, click on your preferences, set up a new account if you have not done so in the past, click on temporary login account, click on activate/renew button. An email confirmation will be sent and the process will need to be repeated every 90 days as logins are only temporary.
STAT!Ref is an easy to use app that consists mainly of a simple list of resources to access. The possibility to search for content is available with the search box at the top of the homepage. Tapping on a title brings the user to a familiar screen like that of an ebook on a user’s desktop or laptop. Users can view the table of contents and choose what content they would like to view.
The document itself gives the user a couple of options including bookmarking sections, a built-in dictionary for unknown terms, and easy skipping between various chapter headings. The app also does a good job of providing links to references cited in the book chapters for further reading. These links seamlessly open up the citation record in a new browser window.
- Free with institutional or individual subscription
- Can access from anywhere with temporary login setup
- Easy to view list of medical references and point of care tools
- Evidence-based information accessible on-the-go
- Bookmarking title/chapter/section capabilities for quick access
- Temporary login expires and needs to be renewed after 90 days
- Login process is very detailed, many users may not take the time to set it up
- ebook load time is sometimes a bit long
- A trusted source of medical reference on the job and for research purposes
- Content is dependent on what user’s institution subscribes to from the STAT!Ref platform
- Contains links that point to alternate references for further reading
- Login process is detailed yet highly valuable once complete
Rating (1-5 stars)
Rating: (1 to 5 stars) – 4.25
1. User Interface – 5
2. Multimedia usage – 3 (links to the web for further reading, but does not contain videos, podcasts, etc. that could enhance resource)
3. Price – 5
4. Real world applicability – 4 (users in both the clinical and research settings can take advantage of this reference tool)
Phone used for review: Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S phone)
This post does not establish, nor is it intended to establish, a patient physician relationship with anyone. It does not substitute for professional advice, and does not substitute for an in-person evaluation with your health care provider. It does not provide the definitive statement on the subject addressed. Before using these apps please consult with your own physician or health care provider as to the apps validity and accuracy as this post is not intended to affirm the validity or accuracy of the apps in question. The app(s) mentioned in this post should not be used without discussing the app first with your health care provider.